Monday, December 9, 2019

Continous brewing

I have been using a four litre jar with a spigot to produce kombucha continuously. The acidity in the raw kombucha varies and the trick is; if it is too acid just take more out. If it is too sweet then take less frequently. The as is taste of the kombucha makes, for me, a good beer substitute. Good for that part of the afternoon when you sit down and take a swig.

Anyway, this method failed the other day when the spigot stopped working. I imagine that some scoby grew in the mechanism and I have been unable to clean it out.

After I added a couple of cups of sweet tea to it I realised that I had to empty that container and try to clean the spigot.
So I put it all through a secondary fermentation and the complexity of the flavours was the first thing noticed when it was tasted:
  1. The sweetness of the fresh tea was there;
  2. The acidity of the older bits was on the back of the palette, and
  3. I am keen to see how it ages and whether the refrigeration stops them from combining.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bruce
    Tried some bruche brew tonight at Chris and Marias, bottle C8, blew my mind. Way more flavour than the beer I'd just been having!! So fresh and zingy.
    Thank you for sharing
    Steve (Fuji)

    ReplyDelete